Tuesday, September 11, 2007

which is tougher... Genesis or the Packet

Either way, anything relating to the biblical text is tough for me, becuase I hardly ever go to church, and when I do it is once a year (Christmas mass). Anyhow, if I had to choose one of the texts that was a "tougher" read for me it would have to be Genesis.
The beginning part of Genesis provides what seems to be a chronological framework which is extreemly repetitive as well as having a rigid style. Not to mention God is just creating things left and right. He says let there be light, so there is light, and he says let there be animals and soon enough there is some fuzzy creature roaming around.
I've come to the conclusion that it's not so much as difficult to read and interprit (because there are sparknotes at the bottom) but because it is tough for me to believe in anything that is being said. Also to the extent that I do believe that God is somewhat a tormenter in the sense that what he says goes, and you better obey him or else. And it upsets me, because humans shouldnt have to obey God, but be guided by him and follow him. (Im not sure if I'm making sense, but it makes sense in my head).
The reason the packet was easy for me to read and understand was, because it was just sentences on how people and humanity should abide by or follow the religion. It was more or less rules. And becuase I really don't follow those as closely as others (not saying I go out and murder people) I am not as threatened to break them as others may be (I mean breaking the "respect thy father and mother one- relax people!). Also, the second part of the reading we had to do (the one that has an eye for an eye) was easier for me to understand, becasue in social studies all throughout high school, we learned about those rules. Also, no one really practices those anymore, so there is no sense in paying as much attention to them as the Ten Commandments.
Even so, the material we learn and go over in class doesnt really stay with me that long. As soon as I am out that door, all I can think is LUNCH TIME! It's not that I do not respect the views of the people at all, or God for that matter. I just don't know where I stand in belief. I do however, believe it is important to believe in something... anything at all. It's great to have belief when you've hit rock bottom or are as scared as can be, or any other time you just need to feel comfort when youre all alone. However, for me, I feel as though I can discuss this in class and have no feeling what-so-ever on the topic. Which can be good in a debate or a paper, becuase my own feelings don't come into the matter. I guess thought to some extend my feelings have to come into play
I would just like to stress again, I mean no disrespect when I say it doesn't effect me as much as others. I just did not grow up with it. I know I would have an entirely different view if I had though. I also would like to reilliterate the fact that it is interesting to me, but just not as emotional as others.
So all in all, the hardest read of Genesis because of my inability to believe in what was said to have gone down. I still find it interesting to hear everyones point of view, and express my own. So yup, I guess that's it... okay, well i am now going to finish my americano coffee (it has 4 shots of xpresso in it- and im not even a coffee drinker... can you say late night!?) Night gang!

No comments: