Saturday, September 22, 2007

Socrates compared to Euthyphro

I'm not sure what to think about Euthyphro prosecuting his own father. I suppose that for the sake of justice (or impiety), it would be the right thing to do. To judge him on terms of piety, I would have no clue how to do that. All i know is I could never view my oen father as a killer, let alone take him to court. I also wasn't really sure exactly what piety was when I began reading the story. Of course I looked it up in the dictionary, but even though i have a definition, doesn't mean I understood it any better. Quite honestly, I did not receive an answer at the end of the reading either. I found myself going in the circles that Euthyphro was going in.
I found it somewhat humorous how Socrates goes about asking Euthyphro about the meaning of piety. It seemed as thoguht the entire restof the story was about Socrates one uping Euthyphro. Socrates actually seems a bit condescending in his questioning, but Euthyphro never seems to notice. Euthyphro's character seemed to be pleased in being thought of as an expert on the matter of piety (and impiety). I don't think Socrates expected to receive a definite answer to his questions from Euthyphro at all.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Euthyphro: he seems to be a bit power hungry, and attention hungry as well. he thrives ont he attention that Socrates is giving him and just keeps rambling on throughout the story until finally Socrates starts to fire back.
Socrates: I believe Socrates too was a bit hungry when it came to the spot light. He also loved pulling Suthyphro's chain, which Euthyphro never notices. it was kind of like the story "whose on First..." it kept going in circles and no one was getting the answer or response they wanted.

No comments: