Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Why does Darwinism matter? (creationism v. darwinism)

Why does Darwinism matter? In a sense, it shouldn't because it is a belief- there are so many religions, opinions, and beliefs that this "problem" should be just a fly on the wall. Never-the-less, humanity is making a mountain out of a mole hill.
There is a difference between Darwinism and Creationism, one is based on data and the other is based on belief. So why does it matter? Well in the earlier days of Christ, about 6,000 yrs. ago, the only belief was the of the lbreal interpretation of the bible. Everything that occured in the bible, was the actual happening of that time. The idea of “creation science” is derived from most religions that God created the universe-including humans and other living things-all at once in the relatively recent past. Creationists say that creatures started out as distinct and separate organisms when God created them and they do not believe that organisms change into complete differently and distinct animals through evolution. There and then lies the conflict, the problem lies when Creationism argues that faith should take precedent over science, basing its beliefs on one book for guidance, the Bible.
My question is, what if you were not raised with this biblical guidence?! Darwinism concerns itself as a science, which is explained by scientific methodology. Biological evolution concerns changes in living things during the history of life on earth. It explains that living things share common ancestors and over time evolutionary change gives rise to new species. Additionally, Darwinism greatly impacted the scientific world purely through its specific doctrine. The enlightenment had paved the way for rational thinking and observation. People were willing to accept scientific data as fact and they were able to objectively consider theories that went against the church.
Even with that biblical guidence, why does it matter which side you believe? Neither idea can be proven right or wrong. Yes, there is a certain realism that dictates over the other. Creationism is based primarily on ones interpretation of the bible. As opposed to Darwinism: which is based on data. But who cares! Why do people choose to believe what they believe?
I think it has a great deal to do with the way in which you are raised. If you are raised with the guidence of the bible, and attend church every Sunday, then you may leave towards the more mystical belief of Paley. If you are more individualistic and brought up as so, then you may lean more towards Darwinism. My theory comes to: which idea gives people more comfort?
Personally, I lean more towards Darwinism due to its data and realistic view. Yes i would live to live with a mystical view much like Paley, but I was not raised with the bible. In all honesty, I have only read the children's bible, and I only truely know the story of Christmas. Due to my lack of biblical knowledge, do I not have an appreciation for Paley? NO! Because of my lack of biblical knowledge, is it assumed that I will jsut surpass the biblical beliefs all together... no, thank you very much! I like the belief of evolution.
You can't tell me that the world is undergoing evolution even now as I type. Fact- Global Climate Change. The world is re-setting itself from humanitarian mistakes. Fact- babies have tails, until born. Why does it fall off? So yes, due to factual things (also I am an environmental major so that helps) I believe in evolution. On the other hand, I do not liek the idea that we are on the earth just to live, and our life comes to an end at the grave. I like the comforting idea that there is a life after death, because then what are we living for?
All in all, I lean more towards Darwinism, because I am a more factual person. And then I also support Paley, with his idea that everyone is here for a reason, and there is a life after death.

1 comment:

Ivory said...

Darwinism is not a belief. Darwinism is a theory. It is a scientific theory that scientists theorize about until a more interesting theory emerges. If scientists believe in anything at all, it must be the scientific method.