Monday, March 24, 2008

March 24th, thoughts on Nietzsche

Well, there are a lot of things I think about when I think of Nietzsche. First off, Nietzsche's views are very unlike the popular and conventional beliefs and practices of philosophers of his time. His philosophies are more than just controversial and unconventional viewpoints, however; they are absolutely extreme if taken out of context or misinterpreted. Also, if looked at from a different perspective, Nietzsche's work seems to parallel that of the Nazi ideology (not to say he was). For instance, Hitler and the other Nazi leaders did not to indulge in any act of independent creative thought in order to arm their movement with ideas. And in the first few pages of the assigned reading, or the preface, Nietzsche express how "we are necessarily strangers to ourselves" and we are absent minded. Then Nietzsche points out a few more things; firstly, the basis of Nietzsche's philosophy is the complete lack of authority. No God, no order, no rules, only the individual and their own short life. This in itself suggests anarchy which is generally chaotic and dangerous in itself, much like Hitler and the Nazi regiem. With this statement alone, he lays a treacherous foundation for one's thoughts and beliefs.
Next, this only occured about page 17; Nietzsche states that he has given honor to God, but then soon-there-after states that God is the father of evil. So here was my shock... as I have stated several times, I am not that biblically well rounded: but I was shocked when he refered to God as the creater of evil. How could he be? I immediatly thought... he created the heavens, Adam and Eve, all creatures, the Earth!! Then, when I actually stepped back and looked at the broader picture, Nietzsche is right... if God created good and moral, then he had to have created evil. It was just that I have never envisioned God to do such a thing, but as Nietzsche says, "as was only fair" to say such a thing.
And those are my thoughts for today, that I was going to express in class, and I was super pumped for class today- but after I sat there for about 10 minutes and realized no one was there, and that maybe I should check my email just to find out that it was cancelled, a little piece of my died inside... that is how much I love CIE! Alright, later class.

No comments: