Sunday, December 2, 2007

Mathematics of Descartes

Woops, disregard the post below... okay so in part 3 there is a list of things in which Descartes gives his reader. The first time I came across it was in the first paragraph. It states "I formed a provisional moral code for myself consisting in only three or four maxims..."

  • Number 1.... to obey the laws and customs of my country, and to adhear to the religion in which God by His grace had me instructed from my childhood.
  • Number 2.... to be as firm and resolute in my actions as I could, and to follow no less constantly the most doubtful opinions, once I had adopted for them, than i would have if they had been the most certain ones.
  • Number 3.... to endeavour always to master myself rather than fortune, to try and change my desires rather than to change the order of the world, and in general to settle for the belief that there is nothing entirely in our power except our thoughts and after we have tried, in respect of things external to us, to do our best, everything in which we we do not succeed is absolutely impossible as far as we are concerned.
  • Number 4.... I decided to review the carious occupations that men have in his life, in order to try to select the best one.

No comments: